Wednesday, December 06, 2006

God's Promise to Abraham

Genesis 15:1-6

After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, “Do not be afraid, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.”

But Abram said, “O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?” And Abram said, “You have given me no offspring, and so a slave born in my house is to be my heir.” But the word of the Lord came to him, “This man shall not be your heir; no one but your very own issue shall be your heir.” He brought him outside and said, “Look toward heaven and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your descendants be.” And he believed the Lord; and the Lord reckoned it to him as righteousness.


Light a candle and quietly contemplate the following words from Meister Eckhart. How does it feel to envision God round-about us all?

God created all things in such a way
that they are not outside God’s self…
All creatures flow outward, but nonetheless remain within God.
God created all things this way:
not that they might stand outside of God,
nor alongside God,
nor beyond God,
but that they might
come into God
and receive God
and dwell in God.
For this reason everything that is bathed in God,
is enveloped by God,
who is round-about us all, enveloping us.

Wherever I am,
there is God.

No comments: